Health Republic NY Shutting Down Nov 30
Breaking: All Health Republic plans (Group and Individual) ending on 11/30. according to early reports the healthcare Co-Op Health Republic NY will be shutting down Nov 30, 2015. New York State Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), the New York State of Health Marketplace (NYSOH), and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced additional actions regarding Health Republic Insurance of New York (“Health Republic”) and a transition plan for Health Republic customers.
- Oct 28th – Utah Healthcare Co-Op shutting down end of 2015. This sis the 5th Co-Op to shut down
- Sept 25, 2015 – original announcement Health Republic NY is Shutting Down effective Dec 31, 2015.
- June 2015 – With a spike in rate increase of 15-20% for 2016 to reflect unexpected high costs of new 200,000 membership the most affordable health plan was experiencing difficulties. The insurer reported $130 million in losses during its first 18 months of operations, according to financial filings, even as it enrolled more customers than any other insurer. DFS did allow for a 13 percent increase in the second year and a 14 percent increase heading into 2016. Both were lower than what Health Republic requested, though, and were not enough to save the struggling insurer.
- May 2015- Health Republic was dealt its death blow when it became clear that the Affordable Care Act’s risk corridor program would not be fully funded, said one source familiar with the company’s finances. A report from Standard & Poor’s in May said the program had only 10 percent of the funds needed to make payments.
- Summer 2013 -Health Republic had borrowed $265 million to begin operations.
New Insurance Risk Corridors paid for by a combination of both consumer insurance premium surcharge tax of 2-3% and Health Insurers is suppose to reclaim capital to those that are less profitable. Health Republic was owed approximately $147 million but was told by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to expect less than half that according to sources.
Regrettably, we all suffer when an Insurer exits the market. Furthermore, it will be a while again when Federal funds earmarked to start a low cost affordable health plans will materialize again. We are pulling for neighboring co-op Health Republic of NJ and hope this trend discontinues.
Our agency will be working closely with our clients to mitigate this exposure and transition smoothly for Dec 1, 2015. Individuals on the Marketplace can contact the New York State Department of Financial Services Consumer Hot Line with questions regarding Health Republic by calling 1-800-342-3736. The Hot Line hours are weekdays (Monday through Friday) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Please Click here to read the full Press Release from NYDFS.
Stay posted, more news to follow. Our Agency as in the past will be out and early in front positioning our clients for best options. For more information on this or to schedule a call please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org today.